I mostly use the Git version control system in my workflow. The one exception is for WordPress.org plugin repos that still use SVN. Since I rarely use it I just spent a ton of time re-learning how to deal with it to update my Featured Authors Widget plugin. Here are my notes. This is mostly to jog my own memory later but maybe someone will find this helpful.
- Spin up a local development environment.
- Navigate to the plugins directory in terminal
- Check out trunk into an appropriately named directory with
svn co http://plugins.svn.wordpress.org/example-plugin/trunk example-plugin
(that URL comes from the plugin repo on wordpress.org)
- Update the plugin as necessary
- Commit your changes back to the repo with
svn ci -m ‘updated readme after testing on WP 4.0.1’
- Go enjoy another cup of coffee.